Thursday, August 23, 2012

OFFICIAL Peace Corps Volunteer

August 23, 2012

       Today has been the proudest moment of my life.  I officially became a Peace Corps Volunteer.  Training has been long, and I am happy it is over.  But wow, I have been working for this for a long time and it is nice to finally begin my service.  Swaziland, G10: Where NO ONE has ET'd from our group yet.  Let me explain
        Out of 41 volunteers who came into country in our group, 41 swore in.  We are the largest group to swear in here.  Also, Swaziland has the highest ET (early termination) rate.  If we all stay the whole year the country director will give us a party.  Anyway, it is EXTREMELY impressive that no one left during training, this notion has been expressed numerous times, by all the officials of Peace Corps staff around us. Either we are the first group in a while that has no ETs during training in Swaziland, or the first group ever, anyway, it is very impressive.
      I am happy and proud of my whole group.
      But, tomorrow after this extremely happy day, I am told that tomorrow will be one of the hardest as we stand watching the dust settle as we are left standing alone at our huts as the Peace Corps Van pulls away.

No comments:

Post a Comment