Monday, July 9, 2012


     We left IDM today, the place where we stayed for our Pre-training.  Man were we spoiled there! with electricity and hot running water.
     I was SO NERVOUS to move in with my host family.  I guess the idea of it never really dawned on me.  But all my nerves evaporated when my bhuti(father) welcomed me with open arms.  I could see the joy of having me stay with his family in his eyes, it wiped away all of my fears.  Its so cute, he keeps telling me he wants me to feel free but that I also must be safe.. . For example, I can't go outside to the bathroom at night! (thank god for Burning Man!) He will walk me to school (training) in the morning and pick me up.  He told me if I want to go to a friend's house he will walk me there.  He is really sweet.  He speaks a lot of English, as most Swazis do, but all he says is "You will teach me English, I will teach you Siswati."  And let me tell you, Siswati is hard!  But he really pushes that I will learn, and it is really awesome.
 Right now dogs are barking all over this beautiful country side.  My bhuti works for himself, growing avacados, bananas, corn, etc.  He gave me a papaya he grew when I first got here.  And avacado trees are HUGE! I had no idea!! It is strange to live on a mountain, but the landscape is really growing on me.
 Being in Africa is really surreal.  I notice, and then I don't notice.  It is really beautiful, but then there is so much trash on the side of the street.
  Anyyywho, I am beat and need to go to sleep, it is coming up past 9 pm which is late for me now! I already have a list of things I would like in care packages, but am not sharing them for now.  This is because I have decided that instead of thinking about myself, for now I would like to think about this LOVING family that has adopted me.  I already have more things in my luggage than they probably own (besides my Bhuti's farming supplies). I'd rather wait to get Care Packages for myself until after I have moved to my permanant site, in September.  For now I would LOVE it if you sent me care packages for my host family.  I live with adorable kids.  I have a 3 year old Bhuti (brother), a 7 year old Sisi (sister), and a 12 year old Bhuti.  Honestly, my sisi showed me her little toys and what seemed like prized possessions and she had some crayons, a head band, and some hair clips from Clairs.  Great stuff, but I would love to be able to share more.  I, being the slow-ish person I am, of course did not bring ananything for my Babe or Mage, or their children :( Maybe some loving letters and some gifts for these people who now love me would be some things you could send.  Of course nothing large, shipping things to Africa will be expensive, but if your missing me a lot find something my new sibblings might like and perhaps send that along :)  My PC main post office (below) is the best place to send things, because it will be the cheapest for me because PC will not be charged customs.  Write "Jesus Saves" or something along those lines to help with the security of whatever you send. It will take a while to get here, so please send them before the end of July.
  I love you all and am looking forward to hearing from you!!

MY ADDRESS:
  Jessica Randall/ PCV
 PO Box 2797
  Mbabane H100

No comments:

Post a Comment